OET makes targeted changes to the test to ensure it remains relevant to the healthcare sector. As the industry and its professions change, so does OET.
Some key changes in healthcare include:
- A move towards patient-centered care
- Increasing numbers of international healthcare professionals and patients
- Greater use of advanced technologies.
Healthcare professionals are encountering new challenges through their changing workplace responsibilities. Nurses, doctors and other healthcare professionals need to now be able to:
- Better gather patient information to understand their needs and explore their concerns
- Communicate with patients and colleagues who have different accents
- Use technology to work and communicate remotely.
OET is being updated to meet these new expectations. The changes are backed by research, and include candidate feedback. If you would like to know more, take a look at our OET update page.